Skip to main content

CSC 322.01, Class 24: Reports

Overview

  • Preliminaries
    • Notes and news
    • Upcoming work
    • Extra credit
    • Questions

News / Etc.

  • No reports due this Friday.
  • This is our last sprint.

Upcoming Work

Please put your assignments in your planners or equivalent.

  • No more POODR
  • Regular work on projects.

Good things to do

Note: I do not do extra credit in two-credit classes.

  • CS table today
  • Harp concert tonight at 7pm in Faulconer.

Questions

Group 1: Grinnellisto

Work accomplished

  • APply global template
  • Change admin URL - Security issue
  • Create fixtures
  • Add sample questions to development database
  • Set up system to add sample questions
  • Add sample questions
  • Does the passphrase encrypt? (2)
  • Determine security (1)

Last sprint plans

  • Create container site (3)
  • Add sample questions (2)
  • Learn about encryption (2)
  • Sync the development website (1)
  • Friday email (1)
  • How secure is Heroku? (1)

Velocity

  • Using a three level system: 1 is easy, 2 is medium, 3 is hard. 7 points in the past sprint.
  • Broke things up into sprints. Lots of overhead.

New Tasks

Note: Container is running and (mostly) bug-free

  • Recolor to meet accessibility guidelines. (It’s super inaccessible - no contrast. (1)
  • Links to materials (?)
  • Dynamic question functionality (3)
  • Meet with Rob to discuss content (3)
  • Make so only users that created a report can CRUD it (?).

About twelve total.

Demo

  • Lots of issues with naming.

Resources needed

  • Meeting with client. Does Sam need to intervene?

Q&A

  • Q: How did you make your design decisions, such as centered? A: That’s how it was in most of the sites.
  • Q: How did you come up with your numbers

    Critique

  • Needed to check the laptop with the system.
  • Needed to rehearse.

Group 2: Heartland

Work accomplished

Plans

  • Only let logged in users post (3 points)
  • Testing (13 points)
  • Accessibility (1 point or 10 points)
  • [Database stuff]
  • Payment system

Actual

  • Payment system [DONE!]
  • Testing for Devise [DONE!]
  • XSS testss for Post model [DONE!]
  • Integrate Devise with Posts
  • Add Webpack to asset pipeline for custom Quill build [PARTIAL]
  • Join table (partial)
  • Fixed some bugs

Partial

  • Accessibility

Velocity

New Tasks

  • Create new registration page [2 points]
  • Domain research and registration [2 points]
  • Figure out deploy logistics [? points]
  • Finish implementation of join table [5 points]
  • [Sam missed andrew]
  • Prepopulate

Overview

Completed

  • Web site is deployed
  • Extra functionaly
  • Heartland draft

Planned

  • Public Website

Demo

  • It’s mostly running.

Q&A

Critique

Group 3: GPCF

Work accomplished

Plans

  • Confirmation emails (4)
    • Account sign up
    • Post signing up for an event
  • Changes to sign up process
    • “Form reatins correct info when incorrect info is used”
    • Approval process is explained (1)
  • Future edits to home page (?)
    • Format should match for signed in vs not signed in
    • Background from client
  • Create event scenario suite
    • Error messages (2.5)
    • Understand why

Actual

  • Popup solution (raised in last sprint). Created new system.
  • Discovered confirmation emails did not work.
  • Cleaned up home page
  • Added logo to pages
  • Edited header
  • [Started on footer] (not included)
  • Lots of stuff on events, but not finished. (2.5)
  • This presentation and other administrative overhead

Velocity

  • 15 points
  • Note: Met with client - full steam ahead to complete

New Tasks

  • Backlog from prior sprint
  • Continue on email
  • Aesthetics
  • FAQ
  • TESTING

Demo

Resources needed

Q&A

  • What did you use for checking accessibility?

Critique

Group 4: Mayflower

Work accomplished

Planned

  • Rename GIthub Repo [0.5 pts]
  • Work with devise to enable administrators to change user passwords [4 pts]
  • Style search page [3 pts]
  • FAQ page [2 pts]
  • Update user info (not with Google sheet) [5 pts]
  • Create administrators [2 pts]
  • Make sure images are displayed correctly (tests) [2 pts]

Actual

  • Got images to show up from AWS! (5 pts)
  • Admin privs
    • Edit/delete current residents [1 pt]
    • Fixed headers [2 pt]
  • Password reset problem [1 pt]
    • Users can now change thier password
  • Visited Mayflower facilities and met with clients [6 pt]
    • Expects to have a demo next time
  • Migrated tests [1 pt]
  • Set up AWS environment variables [4 pts]

Velocity

Demo

New Tasks

  • Have specific residents’ images show up instead of test image (4 pts)
  • Demo (6 pts)
  • Update tests (3 pts)
  • Document project status (e.g., Github repo, AWS, etc.) [Yay!] (3 pts)
  • Create users nad make it easy to link new user to resident profile (2 pts)
    • Residents and users are separate things
  • Update resident info, FAQs, contact page (2 pts)

Q&A

  • Deployable? (Not optimal, but usable. Needs little things.)
  • Need to talk to past group re why separate residents/users

Critique

Group 5: PALS GALS

Work accomplished

  • Most of tasks done.
  • Some issues merging branches.

Velocity

  • Completed 18 points

Demo

i* Working well. Looks bad.

New Tasks

  • Merging, meeting, etc. [1 pt]
  • Heroku [2 pt]
  • Finish up interest implementation [2 pt]
  • Filters on amin dash [2 pt]
  • Reply to posts [2 pt]
  • Acccess profile page [3 pt]
  • Click on name [1 pt]
  • Some backfill tasks
    • Tests
    • Debug

Q&A

  • Ready? Not at MVP. But in another semester …

Group 6: Local Foods

Work accomplished

Planned

  • Parse JSON data responses to filter results
  • Display search results in a more user-friendly way
  • Create sign-up form with authentication
  • Create a page for farmers to add/update their info

Actual

  • Create new fields in DB
  • Create a form page for farmers to enter data
  • Data verification 10 pt
  • Create skeleton page to view approved farms
  • Add recipes to map page
  • Added map animations
  • Add filtering options
  • Add search bar for recipes

Velocity

  • Did not implement user authentication for review page
  • Integrating filtering options
  • Integrating dynamic model
  • Dropdown animations for markers on map
  • Skeleton page to view available farm info.

Demo

New Tasks

  • New survey info - 4 pts
  • Allow farmers to update farm info - 3 pts
  • Make the forms more user-friendly (style) - 2 pts
  • Fix additional information pop-up - 2 pts
  • Add functionality to search bars -2 pts
  • Filter search results -3 pts
  • “Dynamic models” -1 pts
  • Documentation to ease transfer - 2 pts

Resources needed

Q&A

Critique

Resources needed

  • Need to hear more from partner about the info.
  • The data verification model is hard
  • How do we verify farmer information?

Q&A

  • Would it make sense for MVP for farmers just to email stuff to Melissa.
    • Talked about that already.
  • When are you meeting with client?
    • Next week

Critique

Presentation

  • Make sure you’ve thought about the technology. Swapping laptops is hard. Have things loaded. Know how to switch page size.
  • Generally good organization of slides.
  • Interesting architecture. Probably needs to be shown.

Miscellaneous

  • Where did the other time go?
  • Why wasn’t Javascript in the list of velocity?
  • Why don’t the tasks in the list of points match the original points?

Group 4: Mayflower

Work accomplished

  • Scrub github repo + put stuff on cloud [5 points]
  • Deploy to Heroku [6 points]
  • Cleanup repo. Use branches [5 points]
  • Make pretty page. Four smaller things. Both what they needed and what the client indicated.
    • Links that should only be available after login [1 pt]
    • Redundant links [1 pt]
    • Clarify links [1 pt]
    • Custom mayflower logo [1 pt]

Work not accomplished

  • Note: Need to Style home page
  • Note: Need to simplify
  • Style the rest of the page [3 pts]
  • Testing of images [2 pts]
  • Set up environment variables for group members [0.5 pts]

Velocity

  • Planned 21 pts
  • Succeeded: 15.5pts
  • Note 1 point is two hours

Demo

  • Good.

New Tasks

  • Rename GIthub Repo [0.5 pts]
  • Work with devise to enable administrators to change user passwords [4 pts]
  • Style search page [3 pts]
  • FAQ page [2 pts]
  • Update user info (not with Google sheet) [5 pts]
  • Create administrators [2 pts]
  • Make sure images are displayed correctly (tests) [2 pts]

Resources needed

Q&A

  • The questions are weird. Have you talked about them with the client
    • Part of our next meeting.
    • Need to understand culture.
  • Multiple search pages

Critique

  • Introduce yourselves (for everyone)
  • Stories would be nice. “As an administrator, I should be able to create other administrators, so that I can share the burden of managing the database.” “As an administrator, I should be able to delete another administrator, so that …”
  • Good setup of laptop

Points and Velocity

  • Smaller tasks. Scrub repo is one task. Put stuff on cloud is a second.
  • Don’t use 0.5 points

Group 5: GPCF

  • Three groups: 2, 2, 1
  • Low, medium, high priority
  • Point values 1-5 based on anticipated complexity. Not based on hours.
  • 15 points accomplished.
  • Problematic dealing with legacy code. Some of the problems were symptoms of larger problems. Hard to gauge of how difficult things. Tasks create new tasks.
  • Branch not merged.

Work accomplished

  • (1) Account sign up spacing *

Velocity

Demo

  • Clearer UI - lots of small edits

New Tasks

  • Confirmation emails (4)
    • Account sign up
    • Post signing up for an event
  • Changes to sign up process
    • “Form reatins correct info when incorrect info is used”
    • Approval process is explained (1)
  • Future edits to home page (?)
    • Format should match for signed in vs not signed in
    • Background from client
  • Create event sceanio suite
    • Error messages (2.5)
    • Understand why

Resources needed

Q&A

  • Accessibility?
  • Warning: Email may be hard.

Critique

  • Orthogonal work is nice.
  • Nice job of moving between the task board and the UI.
  • Hard to tell from the presentation what your precise tasks were.
  • Folks are really getting introduced to the big picture this week, so you needed a bit more time.
  • For a more efficient presentation, you may have to give a quick summary rather than details.

Group 6: Heartland

Work accomplished

  • Quill.js frontent for posting. WYSIWYG editor. [12 points]
    • Security issues. Yech.
  • Devise plus testing. Conflicted with initial setup. [7 points]
    • Can you allow emails from any of the cooperative schools?
  • More flexible user model. Needs to be optimized 5 points
  • Jerry: User interest data tables
  • Jimin: Reformat Web site 5 points

Velocity

Demo

New Tasks

Resources needed

  • Need to meet with client. (Do I need to intervene?)

Q&A

  • Have you thought about a better error message? (E.g., “Only the following schools are allowed”.)
  • Payment system: Talk to mentor.

Critique

  • Prepare your Dog and Pony show! Test your Dog and Pony show!
  • Feels like individuals, rather than group.