CSC 322.01, Class 17: Work time
- Notes and news
- Upcoming work
- Extra credit
News / Etc.
- I’ll do a quick check-in with each group to hear your plans for the week. The rest of the morning is yours. The mentors and I will be available to answer questions.
- Paper: Comparatively reflect on the the new draft ACM code of
- E.g., What changes do you see as particularly important? What other changes do you think should still be made? What else belongs? What doesn’t belong? Etc.
- Compare to the prior ACM code of ethics.
- Approximately 1000 words. Correct grammar and spelling. I may invoke the MC/JS rule if there are multiple problems with grammar or spelling.
- Due via email at 10:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 2
- Regular work on projects.
- Weekly Project Report, Friday at 5pm
- What did you accomplish this past week?
- What do you hope to accomplish in the coming week?
- What obstacles stand in your way?
- What resources do you need to help you accomplish your work?
- For Tuesday: Read Chapter 3 of POODR. (Read Chapters 1 and 2 if you have not read them already.)
Good things to do
Note: I do not do extra credit in two-credit classes.
- Convocation TODAY (11 am in JRC 101). Important topic, excellent speaker.
- Strange Escape Room stuff.
- Protest Bot workshop, Friday 4pm in Burling 1st.
- Last local foods pizza night of the season, Friday.
- Swimming and Diving Saturday 9ish-1ish.
- Tailgate 11:30 Saturday on the Grassy Knoll.
- Football Saturday.
Sprint Goals: Survivor Support
- Meet with Title IX officers (Tuesday). Summarized. Followup meeting with client. 1 pt. DONE.
- Bug: Multiple choice question causes crash. 1 pt. DONE.
- Bug: Remove name from matching causes crash. 1 pt. Not yet done. But meeting suggests that the matching option may not be there in the first place.
- Bug/feature: Facebook URL of respondent/accused required (?). Looking for an alternative. Discussing with client. 1 pt.
- Container site with resources (broader than Grinnell’s). Assumption that everything is on one site. Creating spots for the resources. Another Django project. 3 pt.
- Investigate what resources other schools are providing. 1 pt.
- Looked at Grinnell Sexual Resources site. Found it very scattershot.
For future sprint
- Learn about security of Heroku. Title IX will be contacting head of cybersecurity. Reminder: Wes B. works at Heroku.
- They need user stories.
- Q: Is “guide for others who want to install Callisto” a project list?
- Q: Who is keeping the resources site up to date?
Sprint Goals: Local Foods
- Database and API are working.
- Add authentication to API. N points.
- Display full farm information. N points.
- Forms for getting data into the database (least priority, but likely).
Next sprint / backlog
- Search by keyword.
- Filter by keyword.
- Need to talk to client about how they will get the data. Will the client survey the farmers or will they ….
Sprint Goals: PALS Gals
Goals for the current sprint
- Registration for new volunteers.
- Set up Gems 2pts.
- Sign-up form (view + contoller for new) 3pts.
- View profile. 2pt
- Set initial preferences. 3pt.
- Administrator: View list of volunteers. 2pt.
- Comes with ActiveAdmin.
- Administrator: Filter list of volunteers by preferences. 2pt.
- Community board: Framework - routes lead to stub pages. 5pt.
Goals for future sprints
- Update preferences
- Community board - Post.
- Everything else.
- Community board - Read.
- Community board - Filter.
- Community board - Followup.
- Community board - Delete.
Sprint Goals: Mayflower
- Securely put resident pictures on AWS [2 pt]
- Find Gem to grab pictures from AWS (CarrierWave or something similar) install and get running. [4 pt]
- Deploy to Heroku. [6 pt]
- Clean up UI. [5 pt]
- Usability research. [3 pt]
- Meet with clients [6 pt]
Sprint Goals: Heartland
- Mock ups of lots of things
- Prototype of Web site
- Install Devise Gem [4 pt]
- Investigate payment system [4 pt]
- Use Bootstrap and CSS to transform the prototpe Web site into something more attractive and acessible [5 pt].
- Google MAPs API [5 pt]
- Improve searching [3 pt] (solved problem by others, but we need to figure out how)
- Email server (but probably a bad idea)
- Meet with client [5 pt]
Sprint Goals: GPCF
- They have a list of observations of problems with the code.
- They’ve been delegating problems to people. Points are 1-4. If the problem is 3 or more points.
- Sign in as an organization. It wasn’t clear that organizations were not approved. So the task was “Flash message that you are not approved.” [3 pt]
- RSpec tests not running [3 pt]
- Needed easier sign-in and sign-up process [4 pt]
- Calculation of volunteers is incorrect [2 pt]
- (No client meetings this sprint.)
- Bugs in create event (wrong times). Needs exploration [3 pt]
- Write more tests [2 pt]
- Appearance/UI [2 pt]