CSC 322.01, Class 03: Project descriptions
- Notes and news
- Upcoming work
- Extra credit
- Trigger warning: Health, Poverty (hunger), Animals, Sexual assault, Volunteering, Aging
- We have visitors today. Each will speak for four minutes and then have about four minutes for Q&A.
- Sam will do his best to record info.
- See the eboard and followup email for work and other things to do.
- Continue to work on your résumé; you’ll be bringing it to class next Thursday.
- Three challenges for each of the six projects (due 8pm Monday night).
- Three opportunities for each of the six projects (due 8pm Monday night).
Good things to do
- Rosenfield Internship Talks, Thursday at 11 a.m. in JRC 101.
- CS Extra today.
- Writers@Grinnell Roundtable, Thursday at 4:15 in JRC 209.
- Writers@Grinnell Reading, Thurday at 6 p.m. in the Pioneer Bookshop.
- Rosenfield symposium, next week. (Lots of different events)
- Community Hour (Dialogues Across Difference), Tuesday at 11 a.m. in JRC 209.
- CLS Kick-Off Event, Tuesday at 11 a.m. in “North Campus Grove”
- Ag Days in Grinnell, Thursday the 31st.
The Grinnell Lions Club is sponsoring Ag Appreciation Day, Thursday, August 31 from 3 to 7 pm. Vintage tractors, demonstrations, family fun, tractor parade, food & games, and live music by Route 66 from 4-6pm. Bring the family! Free admission. Ag Day was started over twenty years ago as a way to bring farm families, agribusiness, and community members together to recognize and celebrate all forms of agriculture and agribusiness as a major economic force in the greater Grinnell area.
- We have a stand-in for the folks who have been leading the project. (They are on the east coast.) Former faculty members help with the mentoring.
- Mayflower is a retirement community for people over 55.
- Just south of the Glove Factory.
- Mayflower wants to be involved in our community.
- Currently 150-200 residents. Phone numbers aren’t in the phone book, since they are cell phone numbers. Email not known.
- People want to know how to contact each other.
- Paper is bad. Things get out of date quickly.
- Dream is that the basic demographic information for all who opt in will be available - photo, address, phone number, email, etc.
- Longer-term dream: Short biography so that it’s easier to find commonalities. Helpful for people who are not acquainted with the community.
- Password protected and available to anyone in Mayflower.
- Interest in privacy and other issues.
- A bunch of projects that are near implementation phasse.
- Board bank: List expertise and skills and nonprofits can find people.
- Grant database: They do lots of grant maintenance. Right now paper.
- Volunteer database: Like the board bank, but also provides calendar of volunteer opportunities in the community. Helpful for people new to the community.
Local Foods Connection
- Established in 1999 in the Iowa City area.
- Provide local food opportunities to people with financial difficulties
- Raise money, buy CSA shares from local farmers
- Also support for people to purchase at Farmer’s Market
- Also connect farmers to MICA or The Clubhouse
- Also goal of supporting local farmers
- Want to create awareness of local farmers
- Our goal is to support interesting things to support their upgraded Website.
- Goal of doing geo search of different things and more information to get transparency.
- Also educates.
- PALS is the anmial shelter for the town of Grinnell.
- Licensed for 20 dogs and 40 cats. Their cats need homes.
- Only one paid staff member. They stay open through volunteers.
- Need better ways to manage volunteers. (PALS of PALS helps, too.)
- The animals need support 365 days per year.
- Better clarity of what is needed and what is available.
- Peer Advocates are a 24/7 support system for students who have experienced intimate partner violence and ….
- But people don’t always seek support from Advocates.
- Sometimes they report to Title IX. Sometimes they report to someone who has to report to Title IX.
- We have one way to report or file something anonymously. It’s more general. It’s not very friendly. It’s not used very much.
- Pathway of healing through expression.
- Project Callisto was designed to provide an interactive online entryway for people to record or as little or as much about something that has happened to them. It can remain forever protected or they can choose at any time to file any report. Can also set for triggering if the same person is reported multiple times.
Heartland Global Health Consortium
- Group of colleges and universites in Iowa who are concerned about global health.
- There are various needs. When people rotate in and out of positions things break.
- More shared governance of the Web site.
- Could include symposium sign-up (or related things).
- Data are disappearing from the Interweb.
- Opportunities to think broadly.
- Will mostly work with interesting information for the most part.