Class 1: An introduction to CSC 321
Held: Monday, 23 January 2017
We look at the “big picture” of the course.
- Guest lecture
- What is software design?
- What is CSC 321?
- What do we learn in this course?
- Why CSC 321?
- Course structure
An atypical start to class.
- Welcome back!
- We have a guest speaker today. I’ll give the class to her and then resume when she finishes.
News / Etc.
- Welcome back! I think I know most of you, and I’m happy to be able to
teach you again.
- But I will still take attendance.
- As seems to be the case way too often, the course Web site is not quite in the state I’d like. Cross your fingers that it will be working better soon.
- Sign up for way too many accounts, due Tuesday.
- Learn some Ruby, also due Tuesday.
- Read and report about Ruby, also due Tuesday.
Good things to do
- First-year convocation today at 11:00 a.m.
- CS Table next Tuesday (unknown topic).
- CS Extras next Thursday (unknown topic).
What is this course?
Broad-based overview of software engineering, with a focus on Agile methodologies. We ground learning in the Ruby on Rails platform.
From your perspective, what is “the subject matter of this course”? That is, what do you expect to see covered in the course?
- Write down five things.
- Share with a partner.
- Then share with the larger class.
Why this course?
Why are you taking this course? (If your answer is “Because I have to”, think about why we offer this course.)
- Skim the syllabus.
- Do you see everything you expect to learn? What’s left out?
- What surprises you about the syllabus?
- What questions do you have?
Time for setup
Sign up for accounts on
Start the Codecademy Ruby Tutorial.