CSC 301.01, Class 22: Pause for breah
- Notes and news
- Upcoming work
- Extra credit
- HackerRank problem, continued
- Tim Sort (if time)
News / Etc.
- I’m working on getting you all of your work back to you after break.
- Assignment 6 due Wednesday after break at 10:30 p.m.
- For Monday after break, read
Jon Bentley. 1983. Programming pearls: Writing correct programs. Commun. ACM 26, 12 (December 1983), 1040-1045. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/358476.358484
- If you need a PDF, let me know.
Extra credit (Academic)
Extra credit (Peer)
Extra Credit (Misc)
Other good things
- Have a great break.
- Consent is absolutely, positively, necessary.
The Problem from HackerRank
Work on it.
Why are we doing a HackerRank problem in class?
- Being able to implement stuff is good.
- HackerRank problems (or at least this one) ask you to look at common data structures in a somewhat different perspective.
- For better or for worse, some job interview will require HackerRank or the equivalent. Practice is good.
- Some of you need support in writing C.
int *counterp = 0.
What did you learn trying to implement this?
- Having PMG in your group is a good idea.
- It’s hard to implement a data structure you don’t completely understand.
- Recursion is your friend.
- Dealing with the null nodes requires extra thought.
- Bad design choices can ripple.
- Working in a group is great because different people have different ideas.
- Pictures are helpful.
- Sanity checks are good, but may interfere