Held: Tuesday, 23 September 2014
Back to Outline 14 - Interfaces and Polymorphism.
On to Outline 16 - Inheritance, Continued.
We consider inheritance, the third key concept in object-oriented
programming (after encapsulation and polymorphism).
- Inheritance basics.
- Inheritance and polymorphism.
- New lab partners!
- Finish the polymorphism lab with your new partner.
- Start the inheritance lab with your new partner, too.
- Continue the inheritance lab tomorrow.
- Reminder: You can get extra credit by providing useful links.
- I will not be here tomorrow. Mira and Walker or Mira and V will
Extra Credit Opportunities
- Convocation Wednesday: Tara Zahra on Emigration from Eastern Europe
- CS extras Thursday: EF, AHD, ZW and more on MIST.
- CS table Friday: ?.
- Town hall meeting, 7:30 p.m. next Tuesday
- Participate in #GrinWell
- Friends of Drake Library needs help setting up for their annual booksale
on Thursday, October 2 (conveniently, the same night as Grinnell High
School's homecoming parade). You can help a good cause and probably get
a few free books, too.
- Followup: They can also use help on Wednesday, October 1.
- Define one class in terms of another
- Automatically "inhherit" fields and methods
- Can add fields and methods
- Can override fields and methods
- A transition in philosophy from Plato to Aristotle
- A technique for code reuse
- Also supports polymorphism