Held: Wednesday, 17 September 2014
Back to Outline 11 - Some Subtleties: References and Automatic Boxing/Unboxing.
On to Outline 13 - Exceptional Programming.
We explore debugging, particularly the use of Eclipse's Java debugger.
- Why use debuggers?
- Debuggers vs. print statements.
- Text or graphical UI?
- Debugging in Eclipse.
- Continue partners from yesterday.
- Once again, I'll try not to talk much today (after the preliminaries).
Reflections on Epilogues
Notes from Epilogues on HW 3
- Not all of you filled in the epilogues. Please take the time to do so.
Evidence suggests that you learn better if you bookend your assignments:
Think about the work in advance, do the work, reflect on it.
- This approach can also help with more general skills, such as
reading tasks and assessing workload.
- Each person should fill out his/her/zir own epilogue. The goal is to
reflect personally, not as a group.
- Some interesting responses
- "We did not predict all of the complexities."
- Are there ways you might improve your skills in identifying
- "Debugging was hard!"
- We're working with the debugger today, which may help.
- Evidence suggests that if you think more carefully about the
problem before implementing, you'll have less debugging.
- Generally budget the same amount of time for debugging as you
spend on design and implementation.
- "I did not read the assignment closely enough."
- Time spent: 5-10 hours
- How do we make you more efficient while helping you learn, particularly
since the best learning often happens when you hit obstacles?
- Daily lab writeup: http://bit.ly/207writeup
- A few of you have HW 4 left. Please try to get it done by 10am Thursday
so that I can go over it in the review session.
- Peer Reviews on HW4: http://bit.ly/207-2014F-peer04
- Reviewers to be assigned as soon as I get all of the assignments.
- HW 5 assigned.
- Groups of three or four.
- You may choose partners or you may ask me to assign partners.
- Readings for Friday
Extra Credit Opportunities
- Convo TODAY: President Kington
- CS resume review session, Thursday, 4:30 pm.
- CS Table, Friday: User Tracking
- Men's soccer, Saturday at some time.
- Friends of Drake Library needs help setting up for their annual booksale
on Thursday, October 2 (conveniently, the same night as Grinnell High
School's homecoming parade). You can help a good cause and probably get
a few free books, too.
Some Notes on Debuggers
- Amazingly, I don't have a lot to say about debuggers, other than that
I think they're a good idea, but not a silver bullet.
- Oh, I'll mention that I prefer textual debuggers like
- And I don't recommend that you regularly debug byinserting print