Algorithms and OOD (CSC 207 2013F) : Outlines
Held: Friday, 20 September 2013
Back to Outline 12 - Interfaces and Polymorphism.
On to Outline 14 - Inheritance, Continued.
We consider the third key concept in object-oriented programming: Inheritance.
- More on the text block example.
- Inheritance basics.
- Warning! It's Friday the 13th (class)
- Reading for Tuesday: Documentation with Javadoc
- EC Opportunities
- CS Extras Thursday @ 4:30: Jennelle Nystrom on Microsoft
- CS Table Friday (pair programming)
- CS Table Friday next (The Story of Mel, A Real Programmer)
- I'm trying to do very little lecture today. We'll see if I succeed.
- Are there questions on HW4?
More on the Text Block Example
- How to build text blocks, reviewed:
- One line of text
- Vertically compose two text blocks
- Put a box around a text block
- We'll try a few more quick examples (or at least I hope we will).
- What are the big concepts you see in this example?
- Define one class in terms of another
- Automatically "inhherit" fields and methods
- Can add fields and methods
- Can override fields and methods
- A transition in philosohpy from Plato to Aristotle
- A technique for code reuse
- Also supports polymorphism
- We may even reflect a bit at the end.