Held: Wednesday, 30 August 2017
We begin to consider the content and structure of the course. We also prepare ourselves to use our laboratory environment (that is, the Linux workstations and the DrRacket Programming Environment).
- Getting started with Linux
- Why use programming languages?
- Scheme history
- Scheme basics
- Using DrRacket
News / Etc.
- I’ll take attendance in a hope of starting to learn names.
- Thank you to all of those who let me know about broken links and such in the course Web site. I’m doing my best to catch problems and fix them. It helps to have others help catch them, too.
- Signed academic honesty policy due in class on Wednesday.
- Read: Making and manipulating simple lists
- Read: How Scheme evaluates expressions, take 1
- Assignment 2 due next Tuesday.
Extra credit (Academic)
- Rosenfield Internship Talks, Thursday at 11 a.m. in JRC 101.
- Writers@Grinnell Roundtable, Thursday at 4:15 in JRC 209.
- Writers@Grinnell Reading, Thurday at 6 p.m. in the Pioneer Bookshop.
- Rosenfield symposium, next week. (Lots of different events)
Extra credit (Peer)
- Women’s Soccer vs. Simpson, Friday, 5:00 pm, Springer Field
- Women’s Soccer vs. Alumnae, Sunday, Noon, Springer Field
- Men’s Soccer vs. Coe, Friday, 3:00 pm, Springer Field
- Men’s Soccer vs. Alumni, Sunday, 2:00 pm, Springer Field
- Volleyball vs. Wisconsin-Whitewater, Friday, 4;00 pm, Coe College (Cedar Rapids)
- Volleyball vs. Wisconsin-La Crosse, Friday, 8;00 pm, Coe College (Cedar Rapids)
Extra Credit (Misc)
- Community Hour (Dialogues Across Difference), Tuesday at 11 a.m. in JRC 209.
- CLS Kick-Off Event, Tuesday at 11 a.m. in
North Campus Grove.
Good things to do
- Ag Days in Grinnell, Thursday the 31st.
The Grinnell Lions Club is sponsoring Ag Appreciation Day, Thursday, August 31 from 3 to 7 pm. Vintage tractors, demonstrations, family fun, tractor parade, food & games, and live music by Route 66 from 4-6pm. Bring the family! Free admission. Ag Day was started over twenty years ago as a way to bring farm families, agribusiness, and community members together to recognize and celebrate all forms of agriculture and agribusiness as a major economic force in the greater Grinnell area.