Held: Friday, 8 May 2015
Back to Outline 54 - Recap.
We conclude the course.
- Course evaluation.
- Comments on the final.
- Final comments.
- Friday PSA (also applies to Block Party and Last Chance Not Harris).
- Sit anywhere, but be prepared to work with the person next to you.
- So that this is available for everyone: I've had some students ask whether
they could work on the CSC 161 material over the summer so that they could
take CSC 207 in the fall or spring.
- We do have an old, robot-free version of CSC 161 that students have
attempted on their own (with some feedback from a faculty member)
- About 1/2 the students who attempt the robot-free CSC 161 finish
at a level that permits them to go on to CSC 207, but it's usually
only the strongest students who try.
- This summer, I'm going to try a variation. Students will do
the EdX Harvard CS50 Course, which includes not only 161 material
but also some Web development. Students will also do the last
four weeks or so of CSC 161 (I'm working on the details).
- If you choose to do this soon and are a rising 3rd year or senior,
you may be able to get 2 credits through the new Guided Learning
- I will also be setting up a support group of students who want to
try this option.
- Let me know if you are interested.
- I had hoped to get you grades tonight. Enough administrative work got
in the way that they won't get to you until Saturday night, and that's just
for the people who got exams in on time.
- Please add the following
- Q7: The one thing that most helped my learning was ...
- Q8: One thing that would have helped my learning more is ...
- Please fill out the RISC survey at
- Optional final. Tuesday 9am or 2pm, or Wednesday 9am or 2pm
Extra Credit Opportunities
Peer Support (Morning Section)
- KY's radio show, "We Think We're Funny", 9-10pm Mondays
- Julia's radio show, "The Hot Box". Wednesday night/Thursday
morning 1:00-2:00 a.m.
Peer Support (Afternoon Section)
- Open campus forum on ARH/Carnegie, Monday, 3:00-4:30 p.m. in Harris
Other Good Things (no extra credit)
- Puppies and Pancakes on Sunday.
- Fill out the official evaluation forms.
- (I won't be here while you're filling them out.)
Comments on the Final
- Choose between four times: 9am or 2pm on Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Four problems. Four correct or mostly correct is an A. Three correct
or mostly correct is a B. Two correct or mostly correct is a C. One
correct or mostly correct is a D. Zero correct or mostly correct is
- Closed book. Closed computer. One page of notes permitted.
- Replaces lowest exam grade, provided it is higher than your lowest